A cover letter is a single-page letter that should be part of any job application.
The only time a cover letter should not be included is when a job ad clearly says to NOT include one. At all other times you should include a cover letter.
You might be applying for a specific, advertised job, or you might be contacting a potential employer to see if they have any vacancies. Either way, your cover letter needs to:
- Introduce you
- Mention the job (or kind of job) you're applying for (or looking for)
- Match your skills and experiences with the skills and experiences required by the job
- Encourage the reader to read your resume
- Finish with a call to action (e.g., requesting an interview or asking to meet)
Here is the Professional Cover Letter Design for Software Testers,
Dear Human Resources Hiring Professional,
As a highly dedicated and skilled Software Tester, I read your posting for a new Software Tester with interest. My experience aligns well with the qualifications you are seeking at xxxx, in particular my role as Software Tester at Company name, and I am certain I would make a valuable addition to your organization.
With more than xx years' experience as a Software Tester, I am adept in test case creation, user requirements understanding, and Agile/Scrum methodology. Moreover, while my on-the-job experience has afforded me a well-rounded skill set, including first-rate organization and collaboration skills,
I excel at:
- Creating test cases for new product development.
- Working with developers to track backlog items.
- Investigating defects, reproducing problems, and documenting findings.
- Overseeing team workload and assigning testing tasks.
In addition to my experience and personal qualities, I have leadership experience and a passion for software testing. I am extremely enthusiastic about xxxx's focus on business software solutions and would welcome the opportunity to contribute to your success by maximizing your client satisfaction with high-quality software solutions.
Please review my attached resume for additional details regarding my expertise and career achievements. I will follow up to request an appointment to discuss how my experience and background meets your needs.
Thank you for your time and consideration.